In the past three months of this blog’s existence, I have been writing about my travels, my advice, and about others who have inspired me to travel. However, I realized recently that you all are probably wondering who I am and why I am qualified to write a blog about these things. You might be thinking I’m some bum who sits around and writes about places I want to see. Or you might think I’m a super hero. I can assure you I am neither of these things, but to kick off 2013, I decided to bring you nineteen tidbits about my teenage self that may (or may not) surprise you.
19. I’m a teenager. As of May 5, 2013, I will not be one any more, and this makes me sad. I may be one of the youngest travel bloggers you’ve met so far. But I’m serious about this profession and will continue indefinitely.
18. My real name is Katherine. No one ever calls me that, except my friends when they want to get on my nerves and my professors before I abruptly correct them. Kay just fits my personality so much better. Oh, and it’s short like me too.
17. My spirit animal is an otter. Even the online quizzes say so. Otters are so cheerful, energetic, and active. I like to think I am the same.
16. I started off college as a pre-med student. A hardcore one too – I shadowed a neurosurgeon for over a year and performed cancer and genetics research since I was fifteen. Of course, I am no longer planning to go to medical school. But it certainly was in the cards for me for a very long time.
15. I don’t really identify with an ethnicity. I am Filipino by birth, but I was born and raised in America, look oriental, and have a Spanish/Latino last name. And I travel around the world and fall in love with almost every place I visit. Basically, I’m just a cultural melting pot.
14. I am a classically-trained violinist, and have played for 11 years. But ever since I picked up Snapdragon (my ukulele), she has been my main musical companion.
13. I collect owls and postcards. I try to get at least one of each wherever I go. And I have a wall of postcards in my room, where I tape all of the ones I get.
12. I once met Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) because I sneaked into the Harry Potter world premiere in London. It was rainy, cold, and wet, and the police were there to threaten arresting any onlookers. But, being short and all, I was able to squeeze in with a big crowd of tourists and the help of a selfless security guard.
11. I grew up in a family of travelers. Both of my parents always saw eye-to-eye on the value of investing in travel. My first trip abroad was before I could walk. And if it weren’t for my mother’s encouragement, I would have never taken my first solo trip abroad.
10. My top three favorite foods are goat cheese, sushi, and mango. This one’s self-explanatory, but I will add that I would never eat these three things together.
9. I have a horrible fear of getting stuck inside of elevators. So bad, in fact, that I rarely take them when I am alone.
8. My obsession with Iceland started because of Sigur Rós. If you have never heard of them, they are a band from Iceland who have very ambient, powerfully moving music. It’s strongly influenced and inspired by the landscape, so I knew if the music was that striking, the actual place would be even more so. Judging from photographs, I was right. You could call me an Icelandophile.
7. I still sleep with a teddy bear. He also travels with me. Oh, and unlike my ukulele, he has no name.
6. My least favorite animal is the spider. I am deathly afraid of them for no reason at all. One the size of my palm once jumped out of a shower at me and I ran outside without a towel.
5. My birthday is on Cinco de Mayo, which just happens to be one of the biggest partying/drinking days in the country. But, since I’m only 19, I usually spend it singing karaoke and watching sappy love movies instead.
4. I grew up never drinking coffee, but this past semester I drank an unhealthy amount of it. Between all nighters, coffee dates, and an obsession with Starbucks, I pretty much bathed in coffee throughout this semester. And then when I went to Vienna, I drank coffee with almost every meal.
3. I’m allergic to sunscreen. I can only wear certain kinds, and when I can’t find these certain brands, I go without. I hope I don’t get skin cancer.
2. I love thrift shopping and all things old. Sometimes I’ll come home with a thrift shop find and my mom will say “that looks like something an old woman would wear!” And it’s true. When I’m not a five year old child or a starving college student, I am indeed an old woman.
1. I’m overambitious. About friends, about my dreams, about everything. I put high hopes and high standards into all of my endeavors and I get disappointed when things don’t work out. But I also believe everything happens for a reason, and for that reason I often take a “go with the flow” mentality. But if you think I’m trying really hard to get to know you, or I’m promoting my blog like crazy, or I’m really excited about anything at all, just know it’s my nature and that it shouldn’t overwhelm you!
So, that’s me in 19 bullet points. Kudos to you if you made it all the way down to the last one! Of course, I created this list so you could put a voice, a personality, and some weird facts to a name. And in return, I’d like to know more about you! So, since it’s a new year and all, I’ll say it again: please email me at email@example.com at any point to talk travel, ask for advice, or just say hi! I promise I don’t bite. 🙂
In 2013, I hope to take this site to a whole new level. This means more readers, better content, more concise advice, student-inspired guidebooks, and all of that jazz. But, like leveling up in Pokemon or Super Mario Bros, it takes a lot of practice and patience. It takes a lot of admitting I’m wrong, and a lot of research to find out how to do things right. So, thank you to you readers for making 2012 the best first year The Kay Days has seen, and here’s to a new, brighter year of travel, website building, friendship cultivating, and party rocking!